This site is an online accumulation of the Post Reports for my current ongoing D&D Campaign - for anyone who might be interested in reading them.

Monday, July 20, 2020

PBEM, Episode 95 - New Friends and Party Issues

The group agreed that after the conversation they would let Jowass go, but the player running the thief decided on his own, fuck it, I'm going for the backstab. And he flubbed it. Which has him at odds for the rest of the group and the Discord and email blew up.

Follows:

NINETY FIVE

(I/C)
Lannis tapped Abraxas on the shoulder, pulling the Fighter away from Jowass for a moment.  "Let's just let the little blighter go and be done with it. Following that, I say we go to the Scriptorum, or failing that the classroom to try and get more oil. And books, lovely books. Let him get his own food though, he'll have none of mine.”

“Senor! I was thinking the same thing, no?” He looked at Kovid who was spinning his reclaimed hammer, beard bristling.

Throwing his hands up, the dwarf snarled, “Thor’s Anus! Fuck. Walk him out of the castle Abraxas, but if I ever see him attack anything again he’s a dead dog. You’re welcome to the gross magic dog bones. They offend me anyway.”

“I did not expect that, Senor Dwarfbeard.” Abraxas clapped a large hand on the dwarf’s shoulder. “You are a grande muchaco.”

“Bah.” Kovid shrugged. “He’s…bah.” He turned away grumbling.

“Really?” Brendon arched an eyebrow. “That’s the plan?”

As Abraxas went back into the room, Lyra stepped out, whispering, “Wait, what? We’re just...letting him go? Just letting him walk out these doors so he can run back and warn other kobolds? I don’t love this plan.”

“You said he was telling the truth.”

“Yeah. But still. We should at least walk him out.”

Brendon nodded. “That goes without saying.”

“Good,” Wyn sighed. “I ‘ave some work ta do when we git outside.” He hoisted Grilljax onto his shoulder. Handing Lyra the last potion bottle, “”Ere priestess, Undead Control. In case ye kint turn one some time.” Bending down he gingerly picked up the needle with the slime in the ampule. “Monsieur Dwarf, Lantern si vous ples.” He held the needle against the hot glass until the slime inside turned brown and then to ash. “Ok, now I am happy.”

Meanwhile Abraxas was chatting with Jowass who was putting his torn clothes back on. "Vamonos Señor Joe-Ass. To the front door, as promised. I am pleased to see you were so cooperative. Apologies for destroying your clothes, it was a high tension time and we wanted to make sure you weren’t hiding any weapons or the like.”

“That’s ok, Abraxas! Better to be safe and smart than dumb and dead.”

“I hopefully have a replacement of at least some small measure for you that will hopefully work out. As is the obvious, we cannot allow you to just walk out yourself, for safety's sake, and to assure miss amigos concerns that you will run back and tell other Koboldses and Roberts and Goblineses are not warranted. “

“Nah, fuck them guys,” Jowass replied. The group was walking out of the Ishtari area and back through the catacombs while talking. “I came out here to make sure that the people of Jector wouldn’t have to worry about elven attacks and Grilljax needed good and able kobolds to come and Warren for him. I came, did my job, we looked over all the castle we were allowed to and found what little we could. But now? Grilljax is dead and that ends my contract with him.” He sighed. “I want to go home.”

Abraxas laid a fond hand on the kobold’s shoulder. “You will, Senor.” As they climbed the stairs, Jowass stepping aside to allow Lyra and Lannis to pass, bowing low as they did so, the Fighter continued, “I do not like the circumstances under which we met Señor, and wish that it would have been differently. I can tell you though, as long as you leave here, go home to Jector and never return to Ipsen Castle, mis amigos and I have no further quarrel con usted.”

“Haha, consider that done, Senor! The Murderer’s Castle is in my past and a story I can tell my kids one day. Including the tale of a human that I too wish I had met under better circumstances.”

“Gracias, Senor.” The group arrived at the hall with the Barracks, Brendon still looking and listening. “For another point in you favor, if you are able, can you tell us how to disarm the fire and oil trap on the sketch you drew?”

“Senor? I have no fire and oil trap.”

Kovid backed up a step, pulling out the map we had taken from the library. “This one. Here.” He pointed at it.

“Hmm. This shows a room between the two rooms, Senor Dwarf,” Jowass frowned, rubbing his chin. “I have been in there to take books but don’t remember seeing a door.” He tapped his chin. “But, you are right! There always was a stink of oil. Never knew where it came.”

“So, you don’t know?”

The kobold frowned. “I am sorry, but I wish I knew. But I don’t know.” He looked down. “Senor. I wanted to say, I am sorry if my taking of your hammer made you mad. You threw it, so I took it. And it is the best hammer I have ever had the opportunity to hold.”

“Well, it is dwarven made.”

At the top of the stairs, the party entered the long hall. “We have no dwarves where I come from. So let me say, if you ever want to trade with the Lords of Jector, and you have hammers like that, you will make mucho silver!”

He stopped at the storeroom. “Senors, if you don’t mind. A quick step in please.” He lowered his voice. “Plus it’s the Robert’s stores so fuck em.” Opening the door he went to one of the beer barrels and turned it around, revealing it has already been tapped with a crude wooden tap. “We have been stealing drinks now and again and swapping the barrels out.”

“I wish you all the best. And I want to say thank you for keeping your word to me as I have kept my word to you.” He turned the tap and let a little beer trickle into his hand, slurping it up. “No cups. But toast to you all.” (General likability, <Cha check, Green 3, likeable).

Abraxas took a sip and some of the others did as well, Jowass watching Wyn cautiously. “You, mister elf, are just as scary as I have been told my entire life. But thank you for this.”

The elf merely nodded, but didn’t drink. And neither did the Scout but no one noticed. The party finished up, left the storeroom, and continued on their way to the Sitting Room. Brendon asked, “So, this Butcher, where did the meat come from?”

“Sometimes hunting, deer. Cow. Squirrel. Whatever anyone who hunts or gathers can find.”

“People?”

Jowass frowned. “Some feral kobolds might eat people, but that is not who we are. People life lives and then they are dead, and their bodies should help feed the land to make more food for others to live.”

“Huh,” Brendon said. “And the Beekeeper?”

“Sometimes he will trade honey, but he is a loco person. All dirty, carries a hive on a forked stick, and had many bees around him all the time. Very loco!”

Once at the Sitting Room, Abraxas opened the door and turned to the kobold. “Ah, here we are. Señor Joe-ass, if we meet again, I hope it is not at the edge of swords or tip of spears, but at the end of a firm handshake.” He stuck out his hand and the two of them shook hands firmly and tightly. He was surprised as Jowass stepped forward and hugged the big man around the midsection and patted his back. “Um, well, Mi amigos perhaps.”

The tow of them separated and Abraxas handed over some food from his bag. “Here is 2 days of rations,  and don’t forget the tomato patch on your way out, fine place to gather some food on your way home. Alas, I have no water skin to offer you.”

“Senor! I am touched! Thank you so much, less I have to scavenge now.”

“Also, Señor, I'd like to offer you this,” he pulled out the folded Elven Towel, pressing it into Jowass’ hands. “I hope it can keep you safe and protected on your travels and offer you safety in your time of need.”

Jowass held the bundle tight, squeezing it to his chest and then turned his gaze to Abraxas wide with wonder. “Senor! I am…touched! Truly! I was worried…”

“De nada, little one. “ Abraxas ruffled his head. “Adios Señor, and remember, as the Goddess Annie says herself - "Mañana, Mañana, siempre mañana. Solo, una dia mas." "

Wyn stepped outside, Grilljax on his shoulder. “No time like the present. We can’t leave ‘im inside where ‘we cen be found.” Looking at Jowass, the elf shrugged. “Ye have the right of it. Nature and all that. Let ‘is rot god take’em in pieces. At least dis way ‘ee do some good for de nature...”

He then drew his hand axe and hacked off Grilljax’ right hand and right foot. Then, looking at Jowass sideways, he swung again and hacked off the shaman’s head. (Reaction roll: 9/12 -2 penalty – 7 – Neutral.)

As the head rolled to a stop, Jowass nodded his slowly. “Now I see where the Robert’s got the idea.” He looked at the elf. “No coming back as a zombie now.” He looked at the tomatoes. “Can I at least toss the pieces in the patch?”

“Um, sure.” Looking at Kovid, Wyn asked, “Are you going to Gallagher or not?”

Feeling weird about it, Kovid grumbled and turned back inside.

“Jowass,” Brendon said, “Let me help you bring these to the tomatoes. Gives us a chance to compare notes on the castle just in case I missed something.”

“I can help too, Senor!” Abraxas said (>Wis check, Blue 15) not catching Brendon’s scowl or motion of his head side to side.

“No, no, no, Abraxas. I’VE got this.” He looked around. “Why don’t you work on your skull piece, while Jowass and I go and talk.”

Abraxas smiled and said, “Ok! Thanks Senor!”

(Jowass Wis check: <Black 1 – Discern intentions.) “Um, Senor?” he asked Abraxas. “Protection in my time of need?” he held up his elven towel.

“Si little one. That is what I said.”

Nodding, eyes deep, Jowass smiled, “I got it. Thanks!” He turned to Bredon and said, “Let’s go! You had questions, yes?”

The two walked the short distance down the stone path, the scout talking about his time on the water, the air, the waves, and the feel of it. Jowass agreed also echoing his feelings about life on the open water. "Ya know Jowass,” Brendon said, “You're not such a bad guy. I wish you had told us something, anything that would help us with stopping Gowan.”

“Gowan is a big talker and he has to make his own decision as to stay or go. If it was me, and I am me, I would go.”

The Scout nodded. “You know as well as I do that Abraxas is a one tough guy as well as a sweet heart. He truly felt bad that he hurt you and I'm afraid that Gowan will hurt him. I wish you knew something that could help us protect Abraxas from harm so he too could go back to the docks he loves.”

“Perhaps Abraxas is smarter and more able than you think, Senor? Maybe he knows more than you think he does?” the kobold’s eyes were slits, looking about as they walked, his hands wrapped tight around the towel.

"I liked what you said to Abraxas, You do and be you. Words everyone should live by" He pointed ahead, “Oh look, there's some ripe tomatoes,” drawing the kobold’s attention briefly to where he was pointing. His short sword slithered out in a one motion as he thrust it at the kobold’s back (>+1 to hit +4 backstab, Red 7) "And just like you, I swore and oath!” (1d6 Damage: Red 1 x 2 backstab: 2 Damage!)

The kobold rolled under the blow that would have killed him, getting a long slash across the side of his shoulder and up his neck near his throat. It hissed and whipped the towel it was holding to the side, holding the IRON DAGGER Abraxas had hidden inside it. “Filthy scum! Not even face to face!?”

(Initiative: Brendon Steel 1, Kobold Red/Black 4)

“What the fuck?!” Lannis, Lyra, Kovid, Wyn, and Abraxas all saw the sudden exchange and lunge as Brendon tried to knife Jowass in the back and the spray of blood from it. “HEY! SENOR FUCKFACE!? WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!” Abraxas began running out there and the rest of the group shuddered and gave chase.

“Okay,” Lyra grumbled, “I expected a problem but not from OUR guy!”

“Not cool, Brendon!” Kovid snarled, legs pumping.

Jowass whipped around, dagger leading the way, trading a few short thrusts with the Scout before diving in quick and aiming for Brendon’s lead foot. (=+1 to hit, Red/Black 13) The dagger sunk through the boot and into the soft flesh (1d4 damage, Red/Black 3 – 3 Damage!) twisting against the bones and causing the thief to snarl and hop back, his damaged foot already growing weak to support his weight. “You are a piece of shit ROBERT!” Jowass cursed, feinting with Brendon and dancing around.

“Better I take you out now than wait for you to fuck us over,” the Scout retorted, slashing hard (<+1 to hit, Red 2) but the kobold dove under the blow.

“I WASN’T GOING TO FUCK YOU OVER, YOU STUPID FUCKING HUMAN!”

(Initiative: Party White/Pink 1, Kobold Red/Black 4).

Seeing the rest of the group running up and Brendon’s weakened condition, the Scout expected the kobold to run him through, but was surprised to find him run around Brendon and run towards the party! “Senor Abraxas!” He cried out, “That PENDEJO tried to stab me in the back while making nice noises and words of friendship at me! Is this what you do?! Lie like a Robert? Oathbreaker and False!? Tell me, is this RIGHT!?”

Jowass stopped in front of the fighter, breathing hard as Brendon was jogging up, limping. “Fuck you, vermin. I have to protect the group and you can’t be trusted.”

“Senor? You are saying the Senora Lyra be a liar too? He talked to us in trust, you tried to kill him for no reason. And now you are wounded and he could have finished you off, but he did not.”

Brendon pointed his sword at the kobold, “Why did you give him a fucking knife?!”

Abraxas swelled up, “Why did you try to fucking kill him!?”

“Yeah,” Lannis sighed. “This is much better.”

Time is now 9:42
(OOC)
Ok, this was not what Brendon planned – but now it looks really bad. Take your time guys.

No comments: