This site is an online accumulation of the Post Reports for my current ongoing D&D Campaign - for anyone who might be interested in reading them.

Thursday, February 25, 2021

PBEM - Episode 333. Alchemy Lab

I've had manacrystals in my games on and off for decades and their uses are typically to power something that requires a butt load of magic to work. Their uses and make up always change slightly depending on where in the world my party is and what not - but the general purpose and effect is typically the same.

Follows:

THREE HUNDRED THIRTY THREE

(I/C)

Lyra took out the manacrystal and tossed it in the air once before catching it. “So all of that sounds bad, and I’m guessing you’re all next going to tell me we need to turn the murder machine on.”

“Most likely, Lass,” Kovid grumbled. He took the flask of naptha out and handed it to Wyn. "Here, take this. It needs to be thrown and it needs a wick. I don't feel like blowing up today."

The elf nodded. “Ok. I take de fire bottle.” He sets his belongings down by the north door, “I also put my bag down over here. I keep my shield en weapons. Also someone should take my pack wit dem an run nord if shit goes south. Each of you take one of deze goddess keys, too. I take dem back if we make it out of dis, but I don’t want to keep all de eggs in one basket.” He snapped his fingers, “Oh yeah! Everyone eat yer cinnamon.”

The party all took out their various cinnamon sticks and split them in half, dividing them up amongst the party (Wyn and Lannis remove from inventory, Abraxas remove 1 from inventory). While the group was chewing the sticks and choking it down, Brendon had the key out and was waiting while Abraxas suddenly got a concerned look. "It just came to me amigos. If we can Scry on Dyck-chess and Mirabells, maybe Mirabells can Scry on us?”

“And how would that happen?” Lannis asked.

“I dunno,” the Fighter shrugged. “Perhaps, by kissing Byrundes she was able to use that to keep tabs en us. No me gusta este plan anymore amigos, pero hacemos que we must. Let's start the Golem y hacemos Haste. Vamonos amigos!"

“Pretty sure it’d take more than a mouthful of Ol’ Pirate Phlegm to enact a scry,” Lannis shrugged, “But sure – I’ll go with we’re probably fucked before we leave this room if things go real bad.”

“There’s a lot of if’s in the things we do,” Kovid noted.

Wyn rubbed his hand and shook out his wrist. “Tell me about it!”

Lyra approached the iron statue slowly. “Unless there was something sitting around that we can use to help us right now, I think it’s time to see if all our ifs even start up correctly.

“Should I open the door?” Brendon asked.

Shaking his head no, Wyn said, “Not yet. Let’s see if it starts first. Whatever happens, I want to get a spell off when we do go out dere. Hopefully we cen get it to take a step or two forward. Den I hide behind it, en Monsieur du Lac opens de door en hides behind it. Du Lac, we need you to hide dere because de sleep will not affect you. Be sure to hide behind de door. I say dat twice so you dot get shot or burned.”

The Scout straightened his sword belt, nodding. “No getting shot, no getting burned. Open the lock and hide behind the door. Then go north and open that one.”

With a thumb up, Abraxas agreed. “Si, if all goes well, I will lead us out that way. But as had been said, there are a lot of ifs.”

“Maybe if we’re lucky,” the Cleric said, hand with the gem reaching for the statue, “it will be grateful we turned it back on and not kill us.”

“When have we been lucky so far?” Lannis sighed.

“Ok,” she said, stepping closer. As she brought the manacrystal closer to the shield, she could see thin tendrils of purple electricity reaching out between the stone and the socket in the shield. At less than 3 inches there was the faint odor of ozone and a crackling noise. Lyra’s hair began to raise up and then with a WHANG!, at less than an inch away, the Crystal pulled from her hand and slapped home in the shield. A line of electric plasma connected the Cleric’s outstretched hand to the shield. A rising crescendo of squeaks and squeals sounded from the statue in the space a few seconds (=Save vs Death Ray, White 9) and then the statue’s visor took on the same purplish light and Lyra was able to step back and drop her hand.

She looked down, her hand stinging as if burned, but nothing was there. Static electricity still ran up and down the cleric and she could feel it through the hairs on her arms and head. “Aine, holy shit.” She exclaimed.

The Statue looked around the room, sighting each person in here. The purple light in its visor turned white when it looked at each person, except for Lannis and Wyn. For each of them the light took on an ominous red hue and the statue stepped out from the alcove with a hesitant first step but then a confident second.

“Um…,” Kovid spun his hammer looking worried, “Is this good?”

The statue looked at the dwarf, noted his weapon, and the white hue in the visor rolled over to red. It went to step at the dwarf, menace obvious in its approach when Lyra held up her hand and said, “Whoa. Hold on. Can I control you?!”

The statue stopped, looked at her, and then the light turned purple again.

“This is bullshit I want to say on the record,” Lannis groused. “I wanted a golem. I did, it was in MY wish list. Andthat is MY manacrystal, mine. It’s MINE and you were only holding it.” He had approached, along with Wyn, but as soon as either of them got within 15’ of the statue it whirled on them and flashed to red, taking a hard steps towards them, its iron fist raised.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Lyra tried to get the statue to stop but it took a lot of her effort to keep it from going after the magic user and the elf.

“Keep that murder statue under control, would you?!”

“Well, dis is a problem,” Wyn rubbed his chin.

“Ya think?” Brendon asked.

“I cannot hide behind it as I cannot get close, so I am not sure how to do what we were gonna do.”

Abraxas was smiling and giddy. “Senora, you have GOT to send it out rampaging! Tres magnifico!”

Lyra took a heady sigh. “OK, before we do anything, let’s figure out what we’ve got and how to make best use of it.” She shuddered. “I wouldn’t say I have control, merely guidance at best. And it has a hard on for Lannis and Wyn.” She looked over at Kovid, “And anyone with a weapon out that LOOKS like they are going to use it against it,” she glanced at Abraxas and his Scythe, but the Fighter had made no attempts to present it in a threatening manner.

“So what do we do?”

Time now is Day 8, 11:21 AM

(OOC)

Ok! Doors are NOT unlocked as I figured we’d want to get the thing up and running first – and Lyra is right, it’s not under direct control but she can sort of influence or guide it, so far.

No comments: