This site is an online accumulation of the Post Reports for my current ongoing D&D Campaign - for anyone who might be interested in reading them.

Saturday, April 10, 2021

PBEM - Episode 376. Wolves, Darkness, and Scrying

Whether its at the table, or on email - there is always those players that fail to note their new skills or abilities or just over look them, and its up to the rest of the party to remind them of it.

Follows:

THREE HUNDRED SEVENTY SIX

(I/C)

(Track/Ruse? Black 15 – no)

Lannis swept some of the grit away from a section of the floor, folded his robe underneath him, and sat down with care. We reached into his pack and withdrew the crystal ball and the stand, setting them up in front of him. Wyn rubbed his chin clean and blew out a tight sigh. “Monsieur Offop, I be hopin' ye crystal ball cen show ye sometin good. Whatcha gonna check on? Gob room? Dat gob artificer?”

Wiping the fingerprints off the ball, Lannis gave the crystal a critical look before satisfied, placing it back before him. "While not my first choice,” he said with a frown, “I'll see what Smallpox is up to. Wherever he is, it’s sure to be illuminating.”

Brendon had taken out one of his balls of yarn, handing Lyra his healing potion, “Excuse me Mi’lady.” He said, making his way to the side of the chamber by the Throne Room. Unraveling the ball, he let it lay on the ground on a clump, indicating that this side was the Throne room side. “I’m going to hang out here while you all get healed and Lannis is a scrying. Maybe Lyra should drink another recall potion just to be safe.”

“Thanks Brendon,” the Cleric said with a smile, giving the potion a quick glance. “Potions and the yarn is a big help. Place is dark as heck.” 

Snapping his fingers, Lannis reached into his pack with drew out 2 slowburn candles. “Reminds me. Hey! Whistlejacket! Since you're under the mistaken impression that horses can see in the dark, here,” he tossed them to Lyra, “take these two slow burn candles."

(Add 2 Slowburn Candles [2] to inventory. “Thanks, Lannis.” She looked around the room. “So what’s the plan? I got two heals and a heal that takes a while. And we have a whole ass day ahead of us.”

"Señora Lytra, si tienes una heal por mi,” Abraxas asked, “yo will gladly take it, por favor.”

“Ahem,” Kovid cleared his throat, “Three.”

“What?” She asked.

“You have 3 1st level spells,” Kovid pointed out. “Remember? You went up in level?”

“I know that. I was SAYING I have 3, and I was gonna save one, and use TWO. Sure! That’s right! I am always looking at my sheet and making sure I know my capabilities at all times.” She waved Abraxas and Kovid closer. “Here. Let’s do this. Aine! Drop a cure on me, Goddess!” A wave or white energy flowed over the Cleric (CLW: 1d6+1: White 3+1=Lyra heal 4 hp!). “Great! And let’s do the same for the Main Fighter Abraxas as well, Goddess of Summer!” another wave flowed out over Abraxas (CLW: 1d6+1: White 4+1=Heal 5 hp!). 

“Gracias Señora!”

She then took the potion Brendon had given her and popped the top, handing it to Kovid, “And for you, my thirsty friend, drink up!” (Healing potion, 1d6. Yellow 3 – Kovid heal 3!) The dwarf swallowed his potion and sighed in relief.

“Welp,” she said dusting off her hands, “here’s to hoping this is enough. I always have the bigger heal just in case.”

“And one more Cure Light,” Kovid reminded her.

“Yes! I know that. And 1 more cure. Of course.”

“You are just terrible at this aren’t you?” Lannis asked from his place in front of the crystal ball.

“Shut it, Manmeat,” she snapped at him. She pointed to her puffy lip and bruised face. “This is STILL your fault.”

“Says you, Rihanna,” he pointed to his own bloody wound. “Hobgob whacked me and you don’t see me sobbing over it.”

Listening to the secret door as well, Wyn shook his head, “Dat was a close one. Did not expect dat many goblins to still be around... Sure glad dat we cut off any additional chance for reinforcements to come here.”

Abraxas was checking the edge of his Scythe for burrs and scratches while we waited. “Pienso we should go back a room de Smallpox y finish off whoever es still hay. Señor Loinus, que do tu miras? Que es hay?"

“I have no fucking idea what the hell you ask me sometimes.” Lannis absently waved his hand in the Fighter’s direction. “I assume it’s either is my jockstrap on too tight in which case the answer is no, or what do I see and the answer to that is nothing yet. Give me a few more minutes. I am forcing my will to bend space and time and open a clairvoyant window through the ethersphere with my awesome intellect and dizzying magical potential while using this spherical crystal imbued with ancient sorceries as a focus to get it done. So pardon me if it takes a few extra minutes to happen. It allows you to count to 20 twice without taking your shoes off.”

Giving Lannis a mocking headshake from behind his field of vision, Wyn addressed the Fighter’s suggestion. “I tink headin back to dat room makes sense… As long as dey fell for me ruse. Less hobs en gobs de better, oui?”

“Excellent getaway folks, but we bit off more than we could chew that time,” Kovid rubbed his butt tenderly, grimacing at the still painful area. “And the wolf took the rest... ouch!”

“Good ting gobs ain't too smart, amiright dwarfriend?”

“That’s the truth.” Kovid unlaced the front of his armor and let the pants drop away. He then rooted around the backway for a bit and whistled loudly. “Damn it! Rotten fleabag was barely a handwidth away from biting my tenders!”

“Oh stop it,” Lannis muttered. “You’re a dwarf so everything seems smaller. Including your tallywhacker. If he bit a regular person I’m sure it would be like TWO hand widths away.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, Big Brain,” Kovid shook his head, lacing his armor back in place. “I’ll say this much, Next wolf gets special treatment from me first before it has a chance to nibble on my nethers, by Thor!”

“Stow it, alright?” Lannis asked (<Int Check, Pink 10). “I’m getting something.”

The group gathered around the wizard as the crystal ball seemed to be filled with roiling smoke. “Alright. Let’s get this clear. Ugh. Ok. And yep! I can see Smallpox. He’s looking around a small room with an opening leading to a larger room on one wall…yep! He’s in that other room where the wolves and the Spinner came from.”

“What’s going on? What’s there?”

“There are two other goblin in that room with him, and looks like they loaded up and prepared two crossbows. Looks like a warren the goblins use to sleep in, but smaller. Maybe this is just for Smallpox and his closest? There’s a chest, pretty battered but there is some ropes wrapped around it. Couple of beat up chairs. Weapon rack. Looks like they put the Spinner hammer back on the rack, that’ll be fun later.”

“What else?”

“Couple of small pots it looks like on a low table, papers with some goblin chicken scratches on it. Big metal cage filled with…mice.”

“Mice?”

“Yeah. And looking at him…Hmmm, He’s got that gauntlet on this time. Couple of candles in the room. Has one funky boot on as well, it’s red. He seems to be talking to the goblins with him, hard to tell, but there are others in the next room also listening to him. They are reaching into their pockets and…they are carrying mice. Every goblin is swapping the mice out in their pockets for other mice in the cages.”

“What the fuck for?” Kovid asked. “Gonna throw them at us?”

(Magic User, Int>14, no roll) “No. That’s why my sleep spell did so poorly. It target the goblins, sure. But they were also carrying mice on them and the extra ‘oomph’ the spell might have had was wasted on putting the mice to sleep as well.”

“Smart fish,” Wyn muttered.

“Goblins, Senor. Not pez.”

“Aaand, it’s dark now.” Lannis rubbed his eyes and sat up. “Ok. Smallpox is still in there. But they’ve faced us enough times to know that sleep is a part of our tactics and have taken steps to weaken that.” He looked around. “I have 2 more scrys if you want me to do one, or we take a chance and head back there now and whack them while they aren’t expecting it.”

Time now is Day 9, 8:11 AM

(OOC)

And now you know! What’s the plan?

No comments: