This site is an online accumulation of the Post Reports for my current ongoing D&D Campaign - for anyone who might be interested in reading them.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

PBEM, Interlude 1 - Lyra

I had sent each person a small list of questions about their character that I was going to then disseminate to the group via email. Would help roleplaying via email answers easier when coming up with things the party would say to one another. This was the first one, Lyra Adder the Cleric.

Follows:

During the week-long trip, one of the things the group was interested in was Lyra Adder’s god as her holy symbol depicted a braided woman with red hair. “There are many gods and goddesses but I pray to and draw my strength from the Goddess Áine.”

“Annie?” Abraxis asked. “I have not hear of this Goddess, except in song.” He clears his throat and starts to sing, “The sun, it will be coming out, mañana…”

Lyra sighed, “No, Áine is the goddess of summer, sovereignty and fertility.”

Lannis nodded and Wyn grunted, “Nice. What a do she do besides make babies come out?”

“She has ordinance over crops and livestock,” Lyra continued, holding her symbol, “and is said her will could bring good fortune to farmers.” She looked up at the sun briefly and then continued her tale, “Áine Is said to be a beautiful young woman in dark earthy robes and a crown of braids adorning her head. She also has been said to appear as a mare to some, red in color much like her own hair.”

“Horse god,” Kovid grunted. “Never had much use for horses. Too damned tall. Taste good though.” He gave the Cleric a once over, pursed his lips to make his beard bristle, and then asked, “So, how did you find yourself a follower of this Áine?”

Lannis leaned against Wyn and whispered, “So is a follower of Áine an Áine-is?” Giving a single barking laugh he then realized no one else thought his joke was funny. “That’s always been my problem being the smartest guy in the room, my sense of humor is too advanced for the rest of you.”

The Cleric gave the Magic User a withering look and after gathering her thoughts, continued her story. “I was low born to an agriculture class of serfs, raised by my farming family. While farming was not an innate talent of mine like my parents and my two other sisters, I did my part. Harvest seasons never amount to more than a small amount of gold, but during my later teenaged years life proved harsh as the drought during the Summer of ‘66 caused the ground to become parched and infertile.”

Wyn nodded. “I remember that time, it was a bad year all around.”

Agreeing, Lyra resumed, “Starvation and illness took many in our village, forcing too many of the families to abandon their homes and farms and leave in search of new opportunities. I remember vividly the night before my family was set to abandon our homestead, a Red Mare came to me in a dream; surrounded by a bountiful harvest of healthy crops. I awoke feverish and focused and the following morning I urged my family to wait out just one more month. And wouldn’t you know it? In those coming weeks the rain came in plenty and so did our crops. My family was able to expand their farm holdings to some of the other abandoned lands. And I have followed Áine ever since.”

The group was silent, digesting the cleric’s tale. Kovid gave a grunt and then offered, “Well, I for one am glad then to have you with us. And Áine’s guidance as well.”

The party continued on all the while listening to Abraxis sing, “Mañana. Mañana. I’ll be adoring you, Mañana. It’s only a day away.”

No comments: